Women Owned Business in the United States
- More than 9.1 million firms are owned by women, employing nearly 7.9 million people, and generating $1.4 trillion in sales as of 2014.
- Women-owned firms (50% or more) account for 30% of all privately held firms and contribute 14% of employment and 11% of revenues.
- Over the past seven years, the overall increase of 8.3 million (net) new jobs is comprised of a 9.2 million increase in employment in large, publicly traded corporations, combined with a 893,000 decline in employment among smaller, privately held companies.
Businesses Owned by Women of Color
- 2.9 million firms are majority-owned by women of color in the U.S.
- These firms employ 1.4 million people and generate $226 billion in revenues annually.
Million Dollar Businesses
- One in five firms with revenue of $1 million or more is woman-owned.
- 4.2% of all women-owned firms have revenues of 1 million or more.
Statistics from Womenable report commissioned by American Express “OPEN State of Women-Owned Businesses 2014” for full report click here
For statistics from the NWBC 2013 Annual Report click here.