© NAWBO | 800.55.NAWBO
Women Owned Business in the United States
- 8.6 million firms are owned by women, employing nearly 7.8 million people, and generating $1.3 trillion in sales as of 2013.
- Women-owned firms (50% or more) account for 30% of all privately held firms and contribute 14% of employment and 11% of revenues.
- Over the past six years, since the depth of the U.S. recession, the only businesses that have provided a net increase in employment are large, publicly traded corporations… and privately held majority women-owned firms. In all other privately held firms, employment has declined over the 2007–2013 period.
Businesses Owned by Women of Color
- 2.7 million firms are majority-owned by women of color in the U.S.
- These firms employ 1.1 million people and generate $226 billion in revenues annually.
Million Dollar Businesses
- One in five firms with revenue of $1 million or more is woman-owned.
- 4.2% of all women-owned firms have revenues of 1 million or more.
Statistics from Womenable report commissioned by American Express “OPEN State of Women-Owned Businesses 2013” for full report click here
For statistics from the NWBC 2012 Annual Report click here.